Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Eat All the Cookies
Chocolate. I do not like chocolate. Yes, I realize that this is against the rules of human nature. I'm sure that my consummate dislike breaks several laws. And yet...I can't get past it! However, since I'm attempting to stretch my horizons and try new things I've been exploring ways to make chocolate palatable. This is great news for A-chan who at seven years old still manages to be shocked at every major holiday when I refuse to share chocolate treats with her.
Ahhh, but there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel for I have discovered - orange flavored chocolate!
This gastronomic delight fools even my picky taste buds into believing that chocolate is yummy. Since making this discovery I've been pairing the two in different concoctions to find one that is tasty but also simple to make. These cookies are it! Few ingredients are needed, very little prep time is involved and they come out perfect every time. In fact, they are so easy that A-chan made a batch all by herself yesterday. (Except for dealing with the hot cookie sheet coming out of the oven.)
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup + 1 TB Light Brown Sugar
3/4 cups Butter, melted
1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Orange Extract
1- 2 tsp Orange Zest
1/4 to 1/2 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
1. Combine all ingredients for Part 1 into a bowl. Stir well.
2. Combine all of the Part 2 ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix together.
3. Add Part 1 mixture to the Part 2 mixture.
4. Now put in the Orange Extract and Zest. Stir well, making sure that all the flour is incorporated.
5. Pour in the Chocolate Chips and stir to distribute.
6. The dough will be soft, reminiscent of brownies. Use two spoons to put scoops of dough onto an
ungreased, non-stick cookie sheet. Leave 1-2 inches between cookies!
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.
- A-chan likes more chocolate chips than I do, for obvious reasons, so she added another 1/4 cup of chips when she made her batch.
- If you don't have an actual orange or a zester on hand, but happen to have Orange Extract just add 2 tsp of Extract to get approximately the same orange flavor.